Friday, February 14, 2014

VC Apprenticeship Week One

What insights from Foster’s discussion of the Spiritual Disciplines are most relevant to you personally?  With which do you agree or disagree most strongly?

  The phrase “the path of disciplined grace” struck a chord with me.  I have never quite heard it explained this way and it makes so much sense to me.  I love that Foster addresses the fact that it is not just my desire to change, but it is God who changes me.   It is a free gift, yet I still have to put effort into it.  I think one of the reasons I have looked at many of the disciplines as daunting and somewhat impossible is because I have attempted to do them on my own.  I know that real change only comes from God, but actually putting in the work and allowing Him to change me is the challenge.  The delicate balance of allowing God to change me yet working toward change is very tricky.  I really appreciate the way that Foster addresses this balance.
I also was struck by the section where he talks about “will worship.”  For me this has been a black hole that I have been sucked into time and time again.  Without being intentional about relying on God to do the real work, I have found myself discouraged and frustrated because the results don’t last.  On the flip side, when I feel like I am doing a good job, I have the tendency to pat myself on the back as if I did something.  I have never quite seen how wrong this is.  The explanation he gives of this being a form of idolatry caused me to do some serious soul searching.   
            I have a feeling that Foster is going to challenge much of how I view the disciplines.  I am excited to read more and dig a little deeper. 


2 comments:

  1. I like your thoughts about the balance that Foster suggests is the line between the chasms of self-reliance and hands-off/let God do all the work thinking. It kind of seems like a tightrope walker. No matter how long you've been tightrope walking, you still need to pay attention and be intentional with your steps or you can still plunge off to either side. Hopefully this becomes, if not easier with time, at least more ingrained into our spiritual walks as we go. High fives to Paul and NateDogg from the (other) Smiffs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you described the challenge of keeping the balance between allowing God to change us and working toward change. My comment on Mike's blog expressed my own thoughts on this. But, you are more eloquent. :)

    ReplyDelete