Friday, February 21, 2014

Week Two: Meditation

Week Two
What suggestions in Chapter 2 seem most helpful to you in making meditation a regular part of your life?
                I think for me some of the greatest suggestions actually came from Foster’s explanation of the different types of meditation.  More specifically as he explains “re-collection” or “centering down” with the physical movements of “palms down, palms up.”  I have had the misconception in the past that meditation is all about being still and trying to in some ways empty my mind.  As I have attempted to do this in the past, I have failed miserably.  Trying to think of nothing makes me think of a thousand different things, none of which are important.  This particular type of meditation helps me to focus my thoughts and burdens in a productive way.  I appreciate that the physical posture is a reflection of what my heart is doing.  For some reason, the physical change in the hands helps me to visualize and truly focus on what I am saying to God.  Thora used this type of meditation in a sermon she taught, and it was the first time I had ever practiced the “palms down, palms up”.  It was a powerful moment then, and reading it reminded me of how effective this particular type of meditation is for me personally.  I find that by having a few moments of focused thoughts, my mind more readily becomes still. 
                Earlier in chapter two Foster talks about “holy leisure,” and how it profoundly affects living a life of contemplation.  I find it interesting that this was in some ways discussed during the sermon this week.  Though the concept of having a less crazy schedule is an easy one, putting this into practice proves to be quite a challenge in my life.  I do agree with Foster that this is a major component of living a life of contemplation.  Like much of what Foster says, this sounds so easy and makes so much sense, but actually putting into practice on the day to day feels like moving mountains.  I think I sometimes overlook the importance of having this type of lifestyle; one where I have the time and space to actually hear what God is trying to say to me.  I guess it is time to take a look at the calendar and do some spring cleaning….what ironic timing to be feeling God say slow down when we are expecting our second little boy in a few weeks.  Essentially this is probably the most practical way for me to make meditation a more regular part of life.  This book continues to challenge how I live life on the day-to-day.  It’s easy to understand but so very difficult to do….
                Oddly enough worship is one space where meditation comes more naturally.  I have never put it together until I started typing this out, but I find myself more comfortable in the silence in the context of worship than anywhere else.  Whether I am having personal worship or leading a set, some of the most profound moments have come while waiting on God.  Whether it is before a set begins, or at the conclusion of worship, waiting on God for just a few brief moments has truly changed me in big ways.  The biggest challenge is creating the space to do this more often in my personal times of worship.  I crave these moments; I know I need them to be more effective and to grow deeper with God.  Now I just need to find the time and to protect it instead of filling it with seemingly important things. 

1 comment:

  1. Excellent thoughts, Lindsay! I also hadn't thought much about the physical body positions reflecting what's going on inside. I liked when you said how the physical position of your hands "helped me focus my thoughts and my burdens in a productive way", especially the "focus/burdens" part. That's exactly how I felt with the "palms down" deal. Like I had to concentrate on exactly what I wanted God to remove from me, things I wanted to lay down before him, and it was kind of nice to have a reference to speak them out, then imagine that they were leaving my hands and physically being laid down. Then the "palms up phase" is cool because Foster says not to say anything, just to sit and wait, using the senses so we can receive whatever he gives us. Whatever it is, we just receive it, whether it's what we expected or not. Very cool stuff. I'm excited for you guys to have another Smith in the world, so hopefully you'll find these exercises helpful to focus your thoughts in the brief moments that you are able to with the new addition! Great blog, and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete