Friday, March 7, 2014

Fasting

Week Four:  Fasting
What ideas or insights from Chapter 4 are especially challenging, motivating, or helpful to you?
                So fasting has always been one of the disciplines that seems most intimidating to me.  I always feel like fasting is for the “really spiritual” people that I know or have heard of.  The challenge for me this week was changing my mindset more than anything.  I have limited personal experience with fasting, and although the experiences have been quite profound, it is by no means something that I incorporate into my life on a regular basis.  In fact, this is probably the discipline that I have the least amount of experience and practice in.  Another challenge for me is so few people that I know of fast on a regular basis.  I guess part of this might be that those that do fast do not broadcast it, but I actually think that it is practiced quite rarely by people I know.  If it is practiced and I for some reason know about it, it is rarely a fast from food.  More often I hear people converse about fasting from things like television, Facebook, media as a whole, or a certain type of food.  I was fascinated by the discussion point of fasting being a commandment or not.  I honestly have never looked at fasting as such an integral part of my walk with Christ.

                I think the most helpful parts of chapter four are the practical tips Foster gives about fasting for the first time.  Things like doing a lunch to lunch fast to start, and to start slowly then progress to longer fasts.  I appreciate that he gives a starting point especially since this is something that feels and is so foreign to me personally.   The suggestions he gives in the journal are equally as helpful.  I really like that he suggests to pay attention, and take note of the responses to the fast.  The excerpt he includes in the book on page 58 where the responses to fasts are recorded over time was quite enlightening.  It definitely is challenging me to find a way to make fasting a more routine part of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment