Friday, December 19, 2014

How should the trinity shape our worship??

-the trinity makes our worship possible
-the trinity put us in close proximity to God
-the trinity makes corporate worship a priority
-the trinity preserves worships purity
-the trinity encourages a peaceful, humble posture
-the trinity shapes how worship proceeds

I like how all of these sound.  I like that we get to be close to God and worship in his presence.  I love the emphasis on corporate worship.  This principle of a peaceful and humble posture is precisely how we should approach the throne of God.  Hicks has a lot of really great points in this chapter. 

However, according to the author, it seems as though we do a lot of things wrong in the Vineyard.  While I value what he has to say, I don't agree with all of what he is saying.  He talks about how a pew is more reflective of the trinity than a row of chairs, and how the level of sound from the band reflects a church's view of the trinity.  I guess it all feels a bit legalistic.  

I am by no means a theologian, not even close.  But, it seems as though a lot of what he is saying is all about rules and regulations.  I guess at the end of the day my priority is where my heart is.  I want to acknowledge the trinity in the worship I am participating in.  Maybe I would have been happier if I wouldn't have finished the chapter.  I really liked what I was reading until it got down to the really practical stuff.  It's a bummer it all sounded so good until the music was too loud.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I was thinking the same thing when I read the end of the chapter. Then when I was writing my blog, I went back and re-read the beginning, forgetting the legalism at the end which helped me appreciate the good meat at the beginning again. Anyway, I agree it is about the heart. I don't think it is pews that discourage community, I think it is the heart of the people in the church and the heart of the leaders that either discourages or encourages community and worship.

    ReplyDelete