Friday, December 5, 2014

Week 2


Looking at the qualifications of a worship leader, which area(s) if any were new to you? Which areas do you feel most vulnerable/challenged?

Honestly, none of the qualifications for a leader were new to me. I am familiar with the passages of scripture that Boswell referenced in his qualifications. Whether from our church, conferences, books etc I have heard this list in similar form at one time or another. In light of that, it was a good reminder and interesting to see Boswell's interpretation.

Aside from being born with the wrong anatomy, the area that most challenges me is being disciplined. He talks about being "sober-minded self controlled, and disciplined." I have a lot of great intentions, but a major weakness for me is carrying things through well. I can do it for a short amount of time without too much trouble. It is the day in and day out discipline, the long-term discipline, the marathon discipline that just seems to be beyond my grasp. I absolutely see the value and necessity of having this quality. I just wish I was better at it.

To be honest, meeting all of these qualifications is a daunting thought. It is hard enough just to think of people who meet these standards, but to think about meeting them myself seems impossible. This is a sobering reminder of the gravity of leadership.

2 comments:

  1. Tried to comment already, but not sure where it went. Here goes take 2... "To be honest, meeting all of these qualifications is a daunting thought. It is hard enough just to think of people who meet these standards, but to think about meeting them myself seems impossible." Every one of us struggles with some part of the "qualifications" and personal discipline. If we did not, we would not be human. Thankfully, it is in our weaknesses that God has the room to show his strength (2 Cor 12:9) so keep on truckin'! Thanks for sharing your honest thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt: They sure are! That is why we need the Holy Spirit working in and through us 24/7 as well as true narratives, healthy community and practices that shape our souls! Sound familar?

    ReplyDelete