Friday, June 6, 2014

“This means, of course, that the Psalms were the hymnbook that Jesus and his 1st followers would have known by heart.”  N.T. Wright
                I love the Psalms.  I love to read them, I love to meditate on them, and I love to find refuge in the depths of passages written ages ago.  Psalm 91 has brought me comfort more times than I can count.  I have prayed those words of protection over my husband time after time in the middle of the night as he patrols the streets of Phoenix, and I do my best to keep fear at bay.  I have read, said allowed, and whispered the words, Be still and know that I am God (Psalm 40:10), more times than I can count trying to remind myself to rest in His presence.  Psalm 139 reminds me often of how God knows me, He created me, and He sees where I have been and knows where I am going.  I found myself meditating on these scriptures often during both of my pregnancies.  Amazed by the words you created my inmost being; you knit me in my mother’s womb (Psalm 139:13).   The Psalms have played a powerful role in my relationship with God.
                It might sound crazy, but I forget that the Bible was such a big part of Jesus’ life.  When I think about that, when I really think about the fact that there are parts of the Bible that Jesus and the disciples memorized and recited it brings a whole new depth to the words I read.  How incredible it is that I get to read those words that shaped and formed some of the most famous Christians of all time.  N.T. Wright also talks about how the Psalms unite over time and culture (pg. 6).  When I read my Bible, sometimes it is selfish and self-focused.  I have never allowed the idea that for thousands of years people have been reading these same words resonate within.  I am truly in awe.  The more this idea sinks in, the more I feel so small yet so privileged to have these amazing words at my fingertips.  How profound this idea is that my Savior would have poured over these words that I love so much.  It’s hard for me to comprehend and harder still to express.

                One of the greatest experiences I have had learning about worship came when I visited my Uncle’s church.  The style of worship is very different from what is typical in a Vineyard church.  In this particular situation, I got to sit in on a “prophetic singing” teaching.  The session looked like this: a passage from Psalm was chosen prior to the teaching, there was a short time of instruction, after this the band played, and several vocalists waited until a melody came to one of them.  Then whoever felt they had a melody for this particular passage would sing it out.  It was amazing to hear and see the different songs come forth.  As I think back on this time, I realize how powerful the Psalms are.  I realize the place they have, and I am excited to look and see how I can incorporate them into my sets.

2 comments:

  1. "How profound this idea is that my Savior would have poured over these words that I love so much. It’s hard for me to comprehend and harder still to express."

    As of late I have been blown away by the same thing. This text that we have unlimited access to has been around for thousands of years, and it was such in integral part of Jesus' ministry. Great post Lindsay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing your love for the Psalms and how they have shaped your life. I, too, was hit by the fact that the Psalms were the hymn book to the Jews, early Christians, and even Jesus. And I love that idea that the Psalms "unite over time and culture." The Bible is truly amazing! And I find it very interesting how your uncle's church uses the Psalms in worship. I would love to sit in and experience something like that. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete