Friday, July 11, 2014

Week 6




I am not sure if I agree or disagree with the statement Wright makes when he says, "To worship without using the Psalms is to risk planting seeds that will never take root." (165).  It is hard to argue against Wright.  The Psalms are amazing.  I think they belong in our services, but it feels like he is saying without them it is frivolous or shallow to do anything at all.  I see their value and sanctity but I do not think its all for not without them.  Perhaps I would feel differently if growing up the tradition of worship I knew was more reflective of his perspective.  My curiosity is definitely piqued at this point.  It would be fascinating to attend a service that reflected Wrights perspective on the Psalms.  Finding a service like this would be the difficulty I imagine.  

1 comment:

  1. You raise a good question - are songs that are not from the Psalms shallow? I don't know if Wright was being completely literal or if he was just making a point that the songwriters should be rooted in the Psalms. Wright may disagree with me and say he was being completely literal. But, in my mind, I think that if the songwriters are rooted in the Psalms, their songs will have a strong foundation - ripe seeds. Hmmm...so much to think about... :)

    ReplyDelete